Quality theatre in Antioch for over 50 years
Palette, symbol of the artist, M for Masque, symbol of the actor, and L for Lyre, symbol of the musician, were put together to form the name of the group of people who were interested at that time primarily in producing (overseeing the executive and financial aspects) of plays, art works, and concerts. A dozen individuals (actors, business people, artists, and musicians) banded together and donated $10 each. With $120 burning a hole in their pockets, the group set out to bring culture to Antioch, Illinois.Shows and art exhibits were given for the benefit of the Antioch Women's Club, Lake County Mental Health Group, and various P.T.A.s. In 1963, the group was offered the opportunity to rent the Lakes Theatre (originally named the Crystal Theatre, constructed circa 1914*) on Main Street. With the added responsibility of maintaining a theatre and putting something on the stage with some regularity, it was decided that membership should be broadened to include general members. The response was gratifying. P.M. & L. moved into the theatre, which is its home today, and with few exceptions has not looked back since. In fact, in 1982, the group (with some trepidation) purchased the building.Over 50 years later, we continue to work to provide quality theatre, while maintaining and striving to make additional improvements to our space. Support from our patrons and the community is always appreciated as we continue to open doors to the arts for so many for now and into the future.